Cultural & Creative Industries Skillnet, Animation Ireland, and Fís Éireann/Screen Ireland are proud to present a new report published today “Access and Career Development in the Animation Sector”. The report is based on a survey of current and aspiring animation professionals in Ireland, exploring hiring factors and career progression in the animation industry. The research received the support of The National Talent Academy for Animation and Coimisiún na Meán and was conducted by Strategic Innovation Partners in 2022 and 2023, following the findings of the ‘Skills Gap in the Irish Animation Sector Research Report’.
The report found that:
- Barriers to accessing employment and progressing within the sector are real and these barriers have multiple tangible impacts.
- While these barriers can potentially impact anyone looking either to gain employment or to progress within animation, certain groups are particularly affected, including women, people of colour, those living with long term difficulties or conditions and those living in regional areas away from the key animation hubs.
- The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on access and progression within the animation sector, and those who graduated in recent years have been particularly impacted.
The report proposed a number of key recommendations:
- Specific support is needed for under-represented groups and they should be developed with the involvement of various stakeholder groups in order to better understand their needs and challenges.
- Existing suites of diversity and inclusion programmes need to be maintained and developed to ensure maximum awareness in the sector.
- Consideration should be given to the development of entry and re-entry pathways for those seeking to develop a career in animation at different life stages.
- New graduates should be able to access mentoring opportunities to ease their entry into the sector and support their growth.
- As new technologies rapidly emerge, steps should be taken to align students with the needs of studios and employers.
- Considerations should be given to further developing and strengthening educational opportunities outside of the greater Dublin area.
A full copy of the report and its findings can be found HERE