|Max Participant Numbers
|Course March 12th to April 23rd 2024. 7 Tuesday evenings from 6.30-8.30pm;
Shadow Scheme: To be confirmed, with days and times to be arranged between participants and writers. Meetings will be online
Applications extended to Friday, March 1st.
As part of our Flipping the Script programme, Cultural and Creative Industries Skillnet, The National Talent Academy for Animation and Turnip + Duck are excited to announce “Listen Hear”.
“Listen Hear” is an Introductory Writing for Animation Course and Shadow Writing Scheme for blind and visually impaired writers.
Over seven weeks you will explore the world of script-writing for children’s television animation. You’ll learn how to apply notes, squeeze in that extra giggle, and navigate the logistics of compliance all the way from pitch to first draft.
Through a mix of online workshops and assignments, the course aims to encourage, support and prepare new writers who want to write for children’s animation (from preschool up).
Some writing experience is useful, though not necessary.
What will this course cover?
- Bible/pitchdeck content and development.
- An overview of the scripting process from pitch to final production script.
- Basic skills and techniques in writing premises, outlines and scene by scenes.
- Writing dialogue and scenes.
- Familiarity with scripting formats.
- Developing a script
- Familiarity with S&P (Standards and Practice)
Classes will be practice-based, meaning peer review and feedback will be encouraged so participants can experience the editing process.
Following the introductory course, participants will have a paid opportunity to shadow the writing team on Turnip + Duck’s latest show Maddie + Triggs, putting their new skills into action.
“Listen Hear” is aimed at blind and visually impaired writers with a specific interest in writing for children’s television animation. No previous experience in either animation or writing for television is necessary.
Dee Roycroft is an animation writer and script editor. Work includes Silly Sundays (Cartoon Saloon), Ollie (Ink & Light), Berry Bees (Telegael/SLR), Jessy and Nessy (JAM Media), and Peek Zoo (Igloo) among others. Over the past 8 years, Dee has worked on productions for many companies and broadcasters including RTÉ, BBC, CBBC, Amazon Studios, Telegael, Fíbín, SLR Australia and TG4. She has mentored on initiatives with X-Pollinator, Galway Film Centre and the WGI, and taught in UCD, the Irish Writers Centre and RTÉ.
Writers should have access to a laptop and one of the following scriptwriting programs; Word, Final Draft, Scrivener.
Dates and times of the course
7 Tuesday evenings from 6.30-8.30pm; March 12th to April 23rd 2024.
Shadow scheme: To be confirmed with days and times to be arranged between participants and writers. Meetings will be online
Applicants should submit a personal statement of intent and a short sample of their writing.
The personal statement of intent is an opportunity for applicants to share their story, tell us why they are the right person for this course and to provide context as to how voices such as their own are currently being underrepresented in the mainstream animation industry. (Max 400 words)
The writing sample should be a piece that you think best represents your writing. Please submit only ONE of the following:
- A short original script extract for film, tv or theatre. Please indicate on the cover page which medium it is intended for (max 5 pages)
- A short pitch/outline for film, tv or theatre. Please indicate on the cover page which medium it is intended for (max 1 page)
- A poem (max 1 page)
- A short story (max 2 pages)
- An episode outline originated by you (max 1 page)
- An episode outline originated by you from an existing kids series (eg Bluey, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol etc) (max 1 page)
- A spec script originated by you from an existing kids series (eg Bluey, Peppa Pig, Paw Patrol etc) (max 5 pages)
Due to our funding, this course is only available to those resident in the Republic Of Ireland.
For any queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org 087 912 5153
Applications close Friday, March 1st.